Friday, July 10, 2009

The Switzerland of America

Nestled sweetly into the Rockies, Ouray was a great stop on a long and curving drive home. As we swirled down the mountainside, I finally glimpsed my first view of the tiny western town, stamped into history and preserved like it was yesterday.

I was soo excited because I knew of Ouray from my long-time friend Amanda, who traveled there with her family pretty regularly as a kid. Jason had also been before, and it sounded like paradise! The dusty main road had plaques all along the way showing the skyline as it was in Western days, and it was virtually unchanged! The quiet, fresh mountain air and the kindly aging storefronts were restorative, and I can see why people go there and never leave again. We did a few short hikes, and ended the excursion with a stop at the Ouray Candy Shop, slurping a pistachio icecream wafflecone and imagining Amanda and Jason the younger, along with thousands of others, treading down mainstreet with the same level of bliss.

I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment