Thursday, July 16, 2009

Leavin' on a jet plane

Quick poll: Armageddon or Deep Impact? Correct answer: Armageddon. A poll almost totally unrelated to the rest of the post, but there we are.

So ANYWAY, yesterday I took Jason and the guys to the airport for their first in a series of business trips to the liberal mecca of the world, San Francisco. Thanks to my careful planning and my rigid adherence to the 'arrive two hours early' rule of navigating airports, we arrived to discover not only were we two and a half hours early, but the flight had been delayed for another hour. Translate: airport party.

DIA has a great-hall full of food and junk shops before you actually go through security, so we swerved into the high-roller short-term parking lot for three hours of airport fun. At first, we tried for the sit-down restaurant. Despite the stale, sticky, beer-laden air of depression the restaurant exuded like a visible haze, the place was packed - so off to the food court with its more appealing blend of stale, sticky, grease-tainted air.

After being accosted three times by a short tsa agent asking what time it was, I raised my clearly watchless arms to him and said it would take ten minutes for me to find the phone in my purse. True to form, I start digging and fumbling awkwardly until the lady in front of me finally gave an exasperated 6:07, leaving me to shrug blankly. Two chicken and cheese ONLY gorditas later, I sat down to unwrap my glorious feast - only to discover it had been doused in some radioactive orange nacho sauce instead of the standard smattering of actual cheese. For someone who gets greatly agitated when two strawberries do not have identical flavorings, this was a near criminal offense.

Later, we toodled about, pointing out various 'Denver'-themed items (dreamcatchers? stuffed yaks wearing jaunty multicolored hats? Painted Horses?) and made our way to the secret porch at the end of the hall to catch the glimmering Colorado sunset. The best times can be had when you least expect them - all depends on the company, I suppose!

1 comment: