Thursday, June 25, 2009

Establishing a 'modern' First Lady?

First Lady Demands Substance
I have mixed feelings about Michelle O.

While I fervently disagree with her politics and perception of America, I think there is merit to studying her developing role as First Lady.

Things that please me:
  • (Pre-presidential) Her dedication to her daughters/family while retaining her career. I like that, while she continued to pursue a career she worked hard for/spent difficult years being educated for, she still limited her time spent in the career to care for and engage her family. Life/work balance is something I think a lot of women struggle to get right. Admirable that after spending what were, no doubt, tough years in Harvard and creating a name for herself, she prioritized her family and worked her career in second tier.
  • She was not afraid to contradict and even tease Barack during his highly publicized campaign. This gives her the appearance of truly being on equal footing with her husband - not just a shadow-bound trophy wife.
  • (Presidential) She clearly wants to be more than just a White House door greeter - and is capable of being more. **NOTE: I feel Laura Bush was a fine, grand example of a great woman. I only think she might have filled a more traditional role in the White House.
I think she is in a strong position to update the perception of the First Lady to the 21st Century. My only thought is that while she clearly has the ambition to become active beyond hosting tea parties and giving side hugs, just being elevated the position of FL doesnt necessarily make her qualified as an expert for any one cause or subject *cough cough, hillary*

I'm keepin' an eye on her. A cautious side-eye, but an eye nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment